Based on the HTML5 Boilerplate created by Paul Irish and Divya Manian,
this allows for easy inclusion/removal of all HTML5 Boilerplate options.
Standing on the foreheads of giants (namely Paul Irish, Divya Manian and the good folks that have helped them create and continue the growth of HTML5 Boilerplate, I present to you my first WordPress plug-in, HTML5 Boilerplate.
As a spin-off of my Boilerplate – Starkers WP Theme, this plug-in can be added to any theme, new, pre-existing, already customized, whatevs!
So what does the HTML5 Boilerplate plug-in let me change? Glad you asked…
- Use HTML5
- Add IE Conditional Tags in
- Move XFN profile from
- Use HTML5 Character-Encoding
- Kill IE6 Image Toolbar?
- Force IE-edge / Google Chrome?
- Add Google Verification code?
- Force iThings to Use Full Zoom?
- Add Favicon?
- Add iThing Favicon?
- Add IE-only CSS file?
- Add Modernizr JS?
- Add Respond JS?
- Add jQuery JS?
- Which jQuery version?
- Put jQuery in
<head>or at end of
- Add jQuery Plug-ins JS?
- Add Site-specific JS?
- Add Google Analytics?
- Use HTML5 Search type
<input type="search" />?
- Add Search
- Add Cache Buster to CSS & JS Files?
I purposefully used the classic Kubrick so you can View Source and see the “raw power” of the HTML5 Boilerplate plug-in…
Or, here are a couple screenshots for you:
- Admin Screen
- View Source of Kubrick Theme before HTML5 Boilerplate
- View Source of Kubrick Theme after HTML5 Boilerplate
And installation is pretty standard…
- Download the ZIP
- Unzip the ZIP
- Copy/paste the unzipped files into your WP plug-in directory (`/wp-content/plugins/`)
- From within WP’s Plugin Admin panel, Activate the HTML5 Boilerplate plug-in
- In the left-nav, within the Settings menu, you should now have an HTML5 Boilerplate link
- Click the link to view the HTML5 Boilerplate Admin panel
- Check and un-check options to add and remove stuff from your site!
You can also check-out the readme.txt for all the deets…
Please let me know if you have any questions/suggestions/thoughts,