I first stumbled across Jonathan Snook’s post on rotating text, but then I found this CSS Ninja post that adds a nice bit to Snook’s implementation (be sure to read all the way through to see all the variations and options).
- Pure, valid CSS, no JS, no HTC, no tricks, no hacks!
- IE8 offers vendor prefix (-ms).
- IE6/7 use non-proprietary
filter, so can easily put that into IE-only stylesheet.
- For better or worse, IE6, 7, and 8 are pretty stable as they are, and so it is pretty easy to know which does, and doesn’t, do what.
- Easy to target specific browser versions if using HTML5 Boilerplate
- Fairly limited set of
filters, and most look pretty crappy.
filteris invalid, so stylesheets will not validate, if you care about that.
- At least one more line of CSS for each feature…
As much of a pain as it was to have to manually determine all the layout, with IE Filters going uncontested in this bout, it is a fairly easy decision…