It’s funny, for the longest time I thought IE supported
text-shadow natively… huh.
Fortunately, IE Filters are here “to save us” once again.
While none of the filters look particularly good, there are a couple that can be used to create a couple different looks.
- Pure, valid CSS, no JS, no HTC, no tricks, no hacks!
- IE8 offers vendor prefix (-ms).
- IE6/7 use non-proprietary
filter, so can easily put that into IE-only stylesheet.
- For better or worse, IE6, 7, and 8 are pretty stable as they are, and so it is pretty easy to know which does, and doesn’t, do what.
- Easy to target specific browser versions if using HTML5 Boilerplate
- Fairly limited set of
filters, and most look pretty crappy.
filteris invalid, so stylesheets will not validate, if you care about that.
- At least one more line of CSS for each feature…
Use filters, or nothing at all.